December 15th 2012 marked the 50th birthday of Vail – and the official opening ceremony of the new high-speed gondola. The state-of-the art gondola in Vail Village is named “One” and commemorates Vail’s original gondola in the same position. The gondola is the fastest single-cable, 10-passenger gondola (or gondola of its type) in the world, rushing up the mountain at a speed of 1,200 feet per minute. The high speed reduces the ride time of the previous Vista Bahn Express Lift from 9 minutes to 7.5 minutes. This upgrade results in in a 40 percent increase in uphill capacity, making the entire Vail ski and snowboard experience that much more efficient and enjoyable.
The gondola will fit ten people on heated, composite leather seats and are outfitted with Wi-Fi access. While other gondolas in the world have heated ten-seater gondolas, none of them have Wi-Fi access, making Vail’s One a leader in the future of ski resorts. Log into Vail’s social networking apps and stay current with up to the minute information on ski conditions and runs. Share photos with other skiers and comment on the best spots that day. Stay connected all throughout the day with Vail’s new technologically advanced gondola.
Another neat aspect of the gondola is that it was constructed only two hours away from Vail at the Leitner-Poma factory in Grand Junction. The facility has been a part of the manufacturing of all types of large transportation projects for international ski resorts as well as mass transit systems. Vail says about 70% of the gondola construction is American made and an impressive piece of machinery at that. The two miles up the mountain will flash by in a few comfortable moments as the gondola transports 3,600 skiers and riders per hour – all providing you more time to enjoy the mountain.
Other epic moments in gondola history:
The Finnish, well known for their saunas, have taken it to the next level at Snow Village with an actual sauna inside a gondola. Available for two hour bookings (and featuring tinted windows) enjoy the ride up and down the mountain from the comfort of a sauna hundreds of feet off the ground.
CALL TODAY to speak with our destination experts and get down to Vail to ski and experience the gondola for yourself.
We’ve got the best available rates on accommodation so if you feel like making this holiday season truly sensational, look no further than Enjoy Vail. Check out our early booking offers and save up to 33% at select hotels and condos.
To help you decide, here are our top three recommendations for Vail hotels:
- Just a few steps from the Golden Peak base area, Manor Vail Lodge offers great deals in a Studio, One or Two Bedroom Condo, all with full kitchen and fireplace, the longer you stay. All rates include daily hot buffet breakfast and stays 5 nights or longer also receive a $50 Food & Beverage Credit. Rates starting from $279 per night.
- (Travel: Jan 5 – Apr 15, 3013)
- Elegant and tranquil, The Lodge at Vail offers visitors a wonderful blend of rich history and modern amenities, making it one of the most revered places to stay in the resort. Just steps from Vail’s newest Gondola “One” you really have all the world at your fingertips. Rates starting from $329 per night.
- (Travel: Now – Apr 14, 2013 - Book by Jan 31, 2013)
- Located in the town of Avon at the base of Beaver Creek, the Westin Riverfront offers spectacular views and one of the areas best pool and hot tubs. With its own Gondola a few steps from the lobby you will be on the hill in under 15 minutes! And with these offers you are getting bargain prices in luxurious accomodations: Buy 2 Nights – Stay 3 or Buy 4 Nights – Stay 6, that’s 2 Free Nights! Rates starting from $169 per night.
- (Travel: Now – Apr 7, 3013 - Book by: Jan 13, 2013)
Experience the best of Vail in its 50th year and make it a winter to remember. BOOK NOW!